Online Soccer Betting
Soccer is officially back! In the past few weeks, top-flight leagues in European, German and Spanish football have been making a comeback. Teams have been locking horns since early June, with all the biggest clubs from around Europe, including Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus all returning to action. Bets are on to see if current league leaders, Barcelona, will continue their winning streak.
Meanwhile, in England, the battle for the Champions League is going down-to-the-wire! Will Manchester United make a return to the top table of European football, or can Wolves, Leicester or Chelsea spoil their party?
At BetMGM, we offer an unparalleled online soccer betting experience not only from the big six in English football, but in hundreds of markets in all the European club competitions. Our betting markets range from putting your money on the title winner, to the top four odds, top six, and the relegation—right down to the bottom of the barrel. In addition to club-level competitions, you get to bet on plenty of international tournaments.
Put your knowledge of the game to the test by placing a wide range of bets on your favorite teams from match result to first scorer, to half-time result and correct score, or take part in our live betting action with highly competitive odds!
Soccer Betting FAQs
1. How to bet on soccer
There are many ways to bet on soccer. You can choose to either visit your local sportsbook casino, bet online or bet through telephone betting services. Soccer betting online is the easiest and most convenient way to bet on soccer. It also offers many benefits compared to the traditional ways of betting. There are many betting options available including betting on future events, plus amazing bonuses and rewards on offer. The most popular types of soccer betting lines include the moneyline, totals, point spreads, and halftime result. It is important to go for the types of soccer bets that are the best fit for you.
2. How to read soccer odds
Soccer betting oddsare there to tell you how much you can win from placing a bet. Usually, they are displayed in three formats: American odds, fractional odds, and decimal odds. These are defaulted by location at a sportsbook casino and can be changed based on your preference. You can read soccer odds as follows:
- American odds – uses a (-) sign to display the favorite and (+) sign for the underdog. The favorite shows you how much you need to bet to win $100, while the underdog sign shows you how much you can win from a $100 bet. For instance, if Everton is listed as -150, you would need to bet $150 to win $100. On the other hand, if Liverpool is +150, you would need to bet $100 for a $150 profit.
- Fractional odds – these are separated by a slash. For instance, 5/1. Work out which team is the favorite or underdog by looking at the numbers on either side of the fraction. A team is the favorite given that the top number is smaller than the bottom number, and vice versa if the team is the underdog.
- Decimal odds – are displayed in numeric form and they work differently from American and fractional odds by determining the total money returned, and not only the profit. A favorite is displayed by odds less than 2.0, and the underdog greater than 2.0. Usually, the odds for a draw are greater than 2.0.
3. Do soccer bets include extra time?
No, soccer bets do not include extra time unless stated otherwise. All bets placed on soccer matches are settled on the result at the end of the 90 minutes. Therefore, your bet will not count for any goals, free kicks, corners or other similar bets past the second-half mark. For instance, if you placed a bet that Man Utd would win against Dortmund and the game is 0:0 at 90 minutes, you would lose your bet even if Man Utd scores at 100 minutes or during penalties. The 90 minutes mark includes any injury or stoppage time but no extra time or penalties after the final whistle. This is also applicable in live betting.
4. What does double chance mean in soccer betting?
The double chance soccer market allows you to bet on two of the three possible outcomes in a soccer match with one simple bet.
- Home team or draw – you win your bet if the home team wins or the match draws.
- Away team or draw – your bet wins if the away team wins or the match draws.
- Home or away team – your bet wins if either team wins the match. You lose if the match results in a draw.
The clear advantage of this type of bet is that players get an increased chance of winning their bet since you will be backing two of three outcomes. As the name suggests, it doubles your chances of winning.
5. How do betting odds work in soccer?
Although betting odds may seem a little confusing at first, they are important in helping you determine how much you stand to profit from your bet. As mentioned earlier, there are three types of betting odds: American, fractional, and decimal. These are the probability of what may occur in a match determined by the sportsbook casino. Once you get to understand soccer odds you are likely to enjoy betting on your favorite teams. You can use your knowledge to bet on an array of betting markets. You will find that at times, for a particular match, the odds for both teams to score are better compared to match results and that will be your chance of playing the odds!
6. How does soccer handicap betting work?
The handicap is one of the popular betting markets focused on single-sided games. The handicap is essentially betting on a disadvantaged team that will need to score more goals to beat the opponent. Here the opposition is given a head start right at the beginning of the match and have an opportunity to win by simply drawing the match, if not winning outright.
For instance, Arsenal is playing Watford, and Arsenal is the stronger team. The handicap will be something like Arsenal (-1) vs Watford (+1). This means that Arsenal being the stronger team will start the game 1 goal behind. Arsenal will, therefore, need to win the game by more than 1 goal for your bet to win. Whereas, Watford being a weaker team, will start the match with 1 goal ahead. If you believe that they will with the game outright, your bet wins.
7. What is over 1.5 in soccer betting?
The over/under or total goals market allows punters to bet if the number of total goals in a match will be over or under a certain amount. If you place a bet that over 1.5 goals will be scored, it means that there would need to be two or more goals scored in the game. However, if it is under 1.5 goals, only one goal can be scored in the game. If more than that, your bet loses. Over/under is also a 90 minute market, meaning that the goals on the scoreboard end at exactly 90 minutes and no extra time or goals scored in penalties count.
8. How to win in soccer betting
Betting on soccer is not that difficult. Every expert was once a beginner. In order to get started and stand the best chance of winning while betting on your favorite teams, there are a few things that you need to know. Below are some quick, useful tips to help you when betting on soccer online:
- Learn the basics – as a beginner, you do not want to jump straight into betting if you do not know what the sport you want to bet is about. Read through guides to understand the basics of online soccer betting. If you are experienced, however, you can skip this step.
- Try different bets – after learning the different types of bets, it is important that you choose markets that you understand. There is no point in betting spreads if you do not understand how they work.
- Don’t have too many teams on your parlay – having too many teams on a single bet slip may decrease your chances of winning. If you are unsure of a game, rather leave it out than have it ruin your other successful bets. One loss on a parlay makes you lose your entire wager.
- Develop a betting strategy – having a betting strategy is very important. The basic strategy is to learn team statistics, find out what form the teams you wish to bet on are in and if there are currently any injured players. Analyze home field advantage and historical performances then place your bets!
Select or from the live event list to view media.