Pro Football Betting Lines at BetMGM
Great news for sports fans...The 2020 pro football season is set to go on as scheduled! The season is set to kick off with the Houston Texans playing against reigning champions Kansas City Chiefs on September 10, followed by a full slate of games that weekend. Pro football is one of the few sports that hasn’t been severely disrupted this summer, as it was already in its off season. However, there were other changes that needed to be made such as virtually hosting the Draft in April and having front offices working remotely.
Although it’s still unclear whether fans will be allowed back into the stadiums for the 2020 season, you can still catch all the action live here at BetMGM.
Do you think the San Francisco 49ers will keep the same spirit under coach Kyle Shanahan given they were just a quarter away from being crowned champions last season, or will the Chiefs do it again?
If you’re looking for outsiders, how about The Chicago Bears? Chicago struggled on defense last season as Akiem Hicks, the main component to the run defense, was out for 11 games following an elbow injury, which led to opponents focusing more on Khalil Mack leading him to end at his fewest with just 47 tackles. However, with a healthy D line and new QB Nick Foles under center, can Chicago be the team to rebound to this season?
Picking a division winner in the NFC East looks likely to be a choice between two good football teams - the Eagles and the Cowboys, while the AFC East is wide open with Tom Brady moving south to play for Bruce Arians and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
So are you ready for the 2021 pro football season? Sign up with BetMGM to get the most out of your sports betting picks!
American Pro Football Betting FAQs
1. What is pro football sports betting?
Pro football sports betting simply refers to betting on professional football. Once the season kicks off, sportsbook casinos will offer a wide range of betting markets for your favorite teams. You can wager on everyday games, playoffs and championships. Bettors will find an array of bet types including moneylines, spreads, totals, parlays, prop bets and teasers. There are currently 32 teams competing in pro football, meaning you will have plenty of betting opportunities. The regular season takes place over 17 weeks and runs from September to December. Our outrights market at BetMGM allows you to bet way before the season starts.
2. How to bet on pro football?
There are many ways in which you can bet on football. The most popular markets include the following:
- Moneyline - this is where you simply bet on the winner of the game.
- Point Spread - levels the field between the favorite and the underdog. A number that is predetermined by the bookie is subtracted from the favorites’ final score and added on the underdog’s score (more info below).
- Over/Under (Totals) - betting on whether the total score from both teams will be over or under a certain margin set by the bookie. The over bets win if the score goes over a certain number of points and the under wins if the score is under the set margin.
- Parlays - having a number of bets on the same bet slip. All the predictions need to be correct for your bets to become successful.
- Teasers - work similarly to parlays except that they have a lesser risk. Teasers payout even if you get one or two selections wrong.
3. How does football betting work?
To bet on pro football, you must understand the betting odds. It is essential to your betting strategy to know the main types of football betting odds and how to interpret the different associated formats. These betting odds include:
- Moneyline odds: You will choose a team or player to win. If your team or player wins, you will be paid the amount due. There is no point spread with the moneyline odds.
- Moneyline parlays: The parlay is a wager that consists of multiple results. A parlay’s payout is much bigger than a single wager you place on each game or player. You can choose multiple favorites to win.
- Decimal odds: The decimal odds number marks the amount you will win for every $1 you wager. It is the total return rather than the profit. Your stake is included in the calculation of your total return.
4. How to bet on football online
You can bet on football by simply creating an account with BetMGM. To create a BetMGM account, simply select “Register” and fill out the online registration form. You will have access to incredible football betting opportunities.
5. How does handicap betting in football work?
Handicap betting will counter the perceived differences between the competitors. This is done, particularly, in matchups where there is a perceived strength difference between the two teams. Bettors do this to level the playing field and to get better value odds.
Let’s use the following example of handicap betting in football:
For instance, the Dallas Cowboys are facing the New England Patriots in the football league. The Cowboys are 4 point favorites (-4 points), while the Patriots start the game with +4 points. The Cowboys would then be required to win by 5 points or more to cover the spread.
6. What does over/under mean in football betting
An over/under bet in football is a wager in which the sportsbook will predict a number for a statistic in a game, including overtime if necessary. It is also known as the totals bet. In the over/under bet, you will predict that the points scored will be over or under a certain threshold. For example, the sportsbook casino might set the number at 43.5 points. If you decide to bet on the “over”, you will need a combined 43 or more points scored by both teams in order to win. For the “under”, you will need both teams’ scores to add up to 42 or less, for you to win.
7. How to bet spreads in football
Point spread betting is one of the popular markets for football. A sportsbook casino will create a point spread to even the field for both teams. A minus sign (-) is used to represent the favorite, while the plus (+) sign shows the underdog. For instance, the Kansas City Chiefs are -4.5 (-110), while the Cincinnati Bengals are +4.5 (110). What this means is that the Chiefs as the point favorite would need to win the game by five points or more for your bet to win. However, if your money is on the Bengals, the team would need to win or not lose the game by more than four points for your bet to win.
Select or from the live event list to view media.